From: "Andrew Kennedy" <akenn@microsoft.com>
To: "Brian Hurt" <brian.hurt@qlogic.com>,
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] @, List.append, and tail recursion
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:35:05 -0000	[thread overview]

Brian,

The optimization you describe is sometimes known as
"tail modulo cons", and is an example of "destination-passing
style". In other words, the place to put the result (in
this case, the address of the tail of a just-constructed
cons cell) is passed on in a tail-recursive call.

See "A Functional Representation of Data Structures with a Hole"
by Minamide in POPL'98.

http://www.score.is.tsukuba.ac.jp/~minamide/index.html

Although Minimide formalizes the problem in the context of
a typed intermediate language, it's probably quite easy to
spot special cases quite far down the compiler pipeline.
- Andrew.