* Re: Caml and PCs
@ 1993-05-27  9:06 sd
From: sd @ 1993-05-27  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Or better, maybe there is a Windows(3.1, NT) version
> of caml being worked on ?

It's something I'm planning on doing as soon as I get
time -  but I don't know when that'll be!  I don't see any
real problems, in that my experiences of porting Unix code
to NT have been very positive.

It'd be especially interesting to make use of the threads
features of NT within Caml, but that's a slightly longer-term
project...

-- Si

Dr Simon A. Dobson

Informatics Department              \  If I'd the knack
SERC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory  \   I'd sing like
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK.   \    Cherry flakes falling

(+44 235) 445478    sd@inf.rl.ac.uk

* Re: Caml and PCs
@ 1993-05-26 22:44 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 1993-05-26 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: popineau; +Cc: caml-list

> Does it exists a version of Caml-light that can run in
> a Dos box of Windows 3.1 ?

The 8086 version should work fine. But it's severely limited in
memory, and rather slow.

In theory, all you need to run the 386 version is a VCPI-compliant
memory manager. Windows only provide DPMI memory management. So, if you
somehow manage to run Windows under a VCPI memory manager, Caml Light
should run fine. I've heard that the latest release of QEMM might be
able to do that, but that's a wild guess.

> Or better, maybe there is a Windows(3.1, NT) version
> of caml being worked on ?

None that I know of. If anyone has some practical experience with
porting Unix programs to 32-bit Windows applications, I'd like to hear
about it (how hard is it, which compiler to use, etc.).

- Xavier Leroy

* Caml and PCs
@ 1993-05-26 15:34 popineau
From: popineau @ 1993-05-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Does it exists a version of Caml-light that can run in
a Dos box of Windows 3.1 ?

Or better, maybe there is a Windows(3.1, NT) version
of caml being worked on ?

Thanks for any information

F. Popineau
---------
e-mail: popineau@ese-metz.fr
	popineau@loria.fr
voice-mail: (+33) 87-74-99-38
surface-mail: 	Ecole Superieure d'Electricite
	      	2 rue Edouard Belin
		F-57078 Metz Cedex 3
		FRANCE