* Caml-Light with TK on the Macintosh
@ 1995-11-27 14:29 David Barton
From: David Barton @ 1995-11-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am doing a project, with graphics, that needs to run on the
Macintosh, PC Windows, and Unix.  I am hesitating between TCL/Tk and
Caml-Light.  I vastly prefer the latter, due to the more regular
structure of the language.  However, I have downloaded the Caml-Light
implementation for the Macintosh, and it does not include the Tk
library.  Does anyone have any indication of whether Caml-Light will
support the Tk library on the Macintosh, or if not how difficult it
would be to port?

Thanks for any pointers.

					Dave Barton <*>
					dlb@wash.inmet.com )0(
                                        http://www.inmet.com/~dlb

* Re: Caml-Light with TK on the Macintosh
@ 1995-11-28  9:36 ` Francois Rouaix
From: Francois Rouaix @ 1995-11-28  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

David Barton <dlb@severn.wash.inmet.com> asks:

> Does anyone have any indication of whether Caml-Light will
> support the Tk library on the Macintosh, or if not how difficult it
> would be to port?

I'd say that the port should be easy. There is nothing really
Unix specific in CamlTk. Most of the code is generated automatically
from a description of Tk widgets and commands in a special language.
The port (be it for Mac or Windows) would consist essentially in
upgrading this description from Tk4.0 to Tk4.1

At this time, we simply don't have the manpower to do the port
ourselves, but volunteers are welcome. Of course I'll offer my
assistance !

--
Francois.Rouaix@inria.fr                   Projet Cristal - INRIA Rocquencourt
WWW Home Page: http://pauillac.inria.fr/~rouaix/

* Re: Caml-Light with TK on the Macintosh
@ 1995-11-28  9:51 ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 1995-11-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dlb; +Cc: caml-list

THe problem is to port tcl and tk to the Mac ! as far as I know, tcl has been
ported (it is used by the alpha editor) but not tk. porting tk would be a
rather difficult job i think .... If I am wrong could someone tell me ...

You could also try to use camlwin, which is not yet ported to Mac but should
be much easier to port ...

----
Christophe Raffalli
Dept. of Computer Sciences
Chalmers University of Technology

* Re: Caml-Light with TK on the Macintosh
@ 1995-11-28 14:55   ` David Barton
From: David Barton @ 1995-11-28 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raffalli; +Cc: caml-list

Christophe Raffalli writes:

   THe problem is to port tcl and tk to the Mac ! as far as I know,
   tcl has been ported (it is used by the alpha editor) but not
   tk. porting tk would be a rather difficult job i think .... If I am
   wrong could someone tell me ...

You are indeed incorrect; the latest version of TCL/Tk has been ported
to the Mac, and the binary and sources are available.  I wanted to
post the address; however, the Sun HTTP server is having problems and
I could not get through.

   You could also try to use camlwin, which is not yet ported to Mac
   but should be much easier to port ...

The main question for me is: how easy would it be to port camltk.c to
the Mac, and have it call the Mac Tk library?  Any ideas?

					Dave Barton <*>
					dlb@wash.inmet.com )0(
                                        http://www.inmet.com/~dlb