I would prefer to not have an editor which modify completely the file I am working on (ie. automatically replace tab by spaces). When working on big project, you cannot assume that everybody use spaces-based editor, and you still want to minimize the diff size of your patches. Thomas 2008/10/23 Romain Bardou > That's actually nearly what Camelia has right now. Right now Camelia >>> insists on not dealing with tabs at all -- it converts them all to >>> spaces. This "feature" has to go obviously, and it's a few-liner to >>> convert between characters (which include tabs) and columns. >>> >> >> What do you mean with this? Reason I ask is that in OcalIDE an option to >> save files with spaces only, was added because it allows one to >> simultaneously edit files in various editors, each with its own tab >> "length". If not, indenting is not maintained. I myself think that >> avoiding tabs altogether is a good solution. >> > > I agree. > > Even without changing your editor, you can change the tab length. > > Moreover, if the editor uses tabs and counts them as more than one > character (default behavior of emacs) it won't be able to locate errors > correctly. > > Finally, when you use backspace to delete one space and suddenly it deletes > eight of them because it was actually a tab, it's annoying because it's > unpredictable. > > Altogether, this means that if you edit a file and put tabs in it, it may > work for you, but it may annoy the people you give your file to :p > > -- > Romain Bardou > > > _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >