I have also learned ocaml with "Le Langage Caml" and I really enjoyed this book (it was one of the first book on language programming that I rode). It might a be a good idea to update the content of this book and to translate it into ocaml/english :-) Thomas 2009/3/31 Martin Jambon > Kuba Ober wrote: > > There must be some reason why the manual and other materials on the > > official site are of such poor quality. I've thought a bit about it, and > > the only reason I see is that the authors do not have a feel for what it > > takes to learn/understand/use that language. They obviously know it all > > through, but that's still far removed from being able to explain it to > > someone else. I don't know, of course, how it is that one understands > > something "well" yet is not able to explain it to somebody else. To me, > > that's very fragile knowledge. I always thought that deep understanding > > implies an ability to extract what's important, and to lead the other > > person from some "basics" (whatever they may be) to the conclusion. > > I can see one reason: like many other French OCaml programmers, I learned > OCaml at school (it was in 1998). French teachers don't rely heavily on a > book. There is however one book that covers the essentials, "Le Langage > Caml" > by Weis and Leroy, which despite using the Caml Light dialect is the most > enlightening programming book I've ever got to read. For the rest, there is > the reference manual of OCaml and plenty of source code all around the web. > > I think that's why there is not much more incentive to write a complete > "replace-the-teacher" text book on OCaml written by the core OCaml > developers, > who are mostly a French team. Besides, it's a lot of work and doesn't make > money. > > Of course there are now a few great books and tutorials on OCaml in > English, > none of them having an official status. > > > Martin > > -- > http://mjambon.com/ > > _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >