* O'Caml link db goes online
@ 1999-03-14  1:58 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 1999-03-14  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

after lots of bugs have been fixed in the ocaml link db, it's time
to go "online". The final address is:

	http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb/

You find there an index of available free software for Objective Caml.
Currently, only four authors put links into it, which may be the effect
of the title "test software". This is no longer true.

Some recent changes make the database more useable:

	- Entries can now be changed after they have been inserted
	- Entries are sorted by the date of the last modification
	  by default
	- There are some checks on incorrect values
	- There is a version of the database without frames
	- The lists are more compact

While the database has become more stable, the functionality is still
incomplete: You can't search, for example. As the source code is
in the camlcvs repository (camlcvs.inria.fr) you are invited to
help me improving it.

I hope this index helps you a bit to get a better overview of
ocaml-related software.

Gerd

Gerd Stolpmann      Telefon: +49 6151 997705 (privat)
Viktoriastr. 100
64293 Darmstadt     EMail:   Gerd.Stolpmann@darmstadt.netsurf.de (privat)
Germany

* Re: O'Caml link db goes online
@ 1999-03-15 17:21 ` Michael Hicks
From: Michael Hicks @ 1999-03-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd.Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

> While the database has become more stable, the functionality is still
> incomplete: You can't search, for example. As the source code is
> in the camlcvs repository (camlcvs.inria.fr) you are invited to
> help me improving it.

It might be nice to set up a mailing list which broadcasts additions to the
database.  Then we don't have to keep checking to see what's new there.
Perhaps the caml-list could be used for this, since people already broadcast
this sort of thing there.
Mike

--
Michael Hicks
Ph.D. Candidate, the University of Pennsylvania

* Re: O'Caml link db goes online
@ 1999-03-17 23:27   ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 1999-03-17 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hicks; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Michael Hicks wrote:
>> While the database has become more stable, the functionality is still
>> incomplete: You can't search, for example. As the source code is
>> in the camlcvs repository (camlcvs.inria.fr) you are invited to
>> help me improving it.
>
>It might be nice to set up a mailing list which broadcasts additions to the
>database.  Then we don't have to keep checking to see what's new there.
>Perhaps the caml-list could be used for this, since people already broadcast
>this sort of thing there.
>Mike

Principially a good idea. I think that the caml list should not be used for
this as frequent automatic mails would only confuse. Of course there are
currently many announcements in the list but most of them give some more
explanations what the piece of software is good for.

Perhaps a broadcast will be more valuable if it summarizes several additions,
for example of the last week. As I have pointed out before, there must be
acceptance for such mails. If many people agree, I will implement it, either
as separate mailing list or by using the caml list. Please let me know what
you prefer.