From: "Bünzli Daniel" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>
To: caml-list List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: xmlm and names(paces)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:44:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

As I previously said on this list I'm adding better namespace support
to xmlm. Up to now xmlm just parsed qualified names into their prefix
and local part (prefix, local). Now I'd like to provide the client
with expanded names (uri, local).

Initially I planned to give the client choice between getting
qualified names or expanded names. However the prefix of qualified
names is really meaningless (it can be alpha converted) and thus
cannot be used to recognize anything in a document. One of the aim of
xmlm is simplicity, as such \x13I think xmlm should only provide expanded
names.

However maybe I'm missing something so I'd like to ask the list if
someone think there is any use for clients to get qualified names ? If
I you do please tell me.

Best,

Daniel

P.S. There is no distinction betwen qualified and expanded names if
you parse documents that have no prefixes and no default namespace
declarations.

P.P.S. Name expansion has a performance cost but if I support only
expanded names I can better reduce it.