* [Caml-list] Immutable strings and the "More OCaml" textbook
@ 2017-10-14 18:33 John Whitington
From: John Whitington @ 2017-10-14 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear OCamlers,

As you know, strings are immutable by default in the upcoming OCaml 4.06.0.

I have updated the text of "More OCaml" to excise string mutation in favour of the new bytes data type. Paper and Kindle copies purchased from Amazon starting today will be up-to-date, as will PDF e-books from http://ocaml-book.com

This means that readers must now use OCaml 4.02 or later, and (I think) that no reader will ever have to use -safe-string or -unsafe-string flags.

The examples and exercises at https://github.com/johnwhitington/more-ocaml-exercises have been updated too.

If you have a paper copy of "More OCaml" and would like a free copy of the updated PDF version, please email me. Customers of the PDF e-book should already have received an automatic update email.

"OCaml from the Very Beginning" did not require any updates with regard to immutable strings.

Thanks,

John

--
John Whitington
Director, Coherent Graphics Ltd

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-10-14 18:33 UTC | newest]