From: "Benedikt Grundmann" <benedikt@cardexpert.net>
To: "Richard Jones" <rich@annexia.org>
Cc: "Jon Harrop" <jon@ffconsultancy.com>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] RPCs, XML, Schemas, WSDL and SOAP
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:51:45 +0200	[thread overview]

I haven't followed this discussion, but assuming that you only want to
do remote procedure calls between programs written in ocaml, you will
soon be able to use my eConcurrency library.  I'm writing this library
as part of the OCaml Summer Project, it (will) provide means to write
concurrent and distributed programs in style similar to erlang.
Concurrency is based on separate processes communicating over unix
domain sockets (that part is done), distribution will be based tcp/ip
and a first version should be done by the end of this weekend/middle
of next week.

Cheers,

Bene

2007/7/6, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 05:24:44PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:
> > So I'm just looking into making remote procedure calls across the internet
> > using OCaml. It seems that the people who invented these protocols have made
> > a right pigs ear of it (again). :-)
> >
> > There have been several galiant attempts to get this working from OCaml.
> > OCSoap by Richard Jones looks good to me. However, it uses the pre 3.10
> > camlp4 extensively to analyze headers.
> >
> > Has anyone ported this to 3.10?
>
> Also, OCSoap is only a client.  And WSDL is so complicated that
> there's quite an effort required to adapt OCSoap to new schemas.
>
> BTW, the camlp4 stuff in OCSoap isn't really required, and could be
> removed with relative ease.
>
> > Incidentally, I like the design but I would have written a
> > dynamically typed bottom layer first myself. That way users could
> > use the library to make calls without having to generate bindings
> > first. Something like:
> >
> > # let rpc = Soap.connect url;;
> > val rpc : string -> Soap.value list -> Soap.value = <fun>
> > # Soap.to_float rpc("getTemp", [Soap.of_int 90210]);;
> > - : float = 999.0
> >
> > Then the macro would spit out stubs that used that style.
>
> Well, I guess the point of OCSoap was to write type-safe bindings to
> the Google AdWords API.  The bindings are generated statically using a
> CDuce program which grinds over the WSDL and generates *.ml and *.mli
> files.  You then compile these and presto you have a type-safe client.
>
> [..]
>
> Have you looked into using SunRPC?  ocamlnet provides an
> implementation, it can be run over SSL, it's far more lightweight than
> XML, and there's a strong chance you'll be able to interoperate with
> clients and servers written in other languages.  Another option would
> be s-expressions using the Jane St. library.
>
> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones
> Red Hat

Calvin: I try to make everyone's day a little more
surreal.

(From Calvin & Hobbes)