* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  8:18 Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 2006-07-26  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

FWIW, Microsoft seems to ship some static analysis program coded in Ocaml
(SDV) inside the Windows Driver Kit:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/tools/sdv-case.mspx

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net

* Re: OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  9:12 ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2006-07-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basile STARYNKEVITCH; +Cc: caml-list

Microsoft research (at least the cambridge UK branch) uses ocaml for
some of its projects like terminator (static program analysis).
Also, I'm guessing we will see some of the nice ocaml feature
trickling in C# (or another mainstream caml language) one of these
days (that's probably what F# is for).
Some of the members of the Cambridge lab are active ocaml users (Simon
Peyton-Jones for instance). I guess a good part of the the functional
programming community uses ocaml. Even Philip Wadler uses it to code
Links... IMHO Haskel is more of of a conceptual language. Ocaml seems
handier for many tasks.
Following this logic, Haskel being prized by Microsoft research, ocaml
is often their language of choice.

Till

PS: this mail tainted by my personnal opinion, lets not start a flame war.

On 7/26/06, Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

> FWIW, Microsoft seems to ship some static analysis program coded in Ocaml
> (SDV) inside the Windows Driver Kit:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/tools/sdv-case.mspx
>
> --
> Basile STARYNKEVITCH         http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
> email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
> 8, rue de la Faïencerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26 13:49   ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2006-07-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Varoquaux; +Cc: Basile STARYNKEVITCH, caml-list

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:12 +0200, Till Varoquaux wrote:
> Microsoft research (at least the cambridge UK branch) uses ocaml for
> some of its projects like terminator (static program analysis).
> Also, I'm guessing we will see some of the nice ocaml feature
> trickling in C# (or another mainstream caml language) one of these
> days (that's probably what F# is for).

Some of them already have.. type inference for example,
and a much better approach to polymorphism than Java ..
not that I'd use C# for anything Ocaml could do :)

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26 21:41     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2006-07-26 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 14:49, skaller wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:12 +0200, Till Varoquaux wrote:
> > Microsoft research (at least the cambridge UK branch) uses ocaml for
> > some of its projects like terminator (static program analysis).
> > Also, I'm guessing we will see some of the nice ocaml feature
> > trickling in C# (or another mainstream caml language) one of these
> > days (that's probably what F# is for).
>
> Some of them already have.. type inference for example,

Not to mention first class lexical closures...

> and a much better approach to polymorphism than Java ..
> not that I'd use C# for anything Ocaml could do :)

Of course not. You'd use Felix. ;-)

Objective CAML for Scientists

* OCaml & Microsoft?
@ 2006-07-26  1:22 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2006-07-26  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi, all--

I just noticed that Microsoft is a member of the OCaml Consortium.
Anyone know what, if anything, they are actually using OCaml for?

I am preparing an OCaml presentation for my local Linux user's group,
and this seems like an interesting sidelight (though perhaps not
entirely welcome, given the audience).

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :