* Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13  7:23 Keisuke Nakano
From: Keisuke Nakano @ 2006-11-13  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

Haskell people sometimes complain about that OCaml cannot make an
arbitrary function infix. For example, they can write (3 `min` 4)
to get the result of (min 3 4) in Haskell. Can we satisfy them
without changing OCaml's syntax?

Here is a simple idea for making a function infix in OCaml.
I hope it will be useful for those who like Haskell's backquote
notation `function_name`.
The idea doesn't require any change of OCaml's syntax.

We use the following two infix operators.

   let ( /* ) x y = y x
   and ( */ ) x y = x y

Then we can make an infix operator /*f*/ for a binary function f.
For example, using binary functions 'min' and 'max', we can write

   3 /*min*/ 4 + 6 /*max*/ 8

to get 11 as 'min 3 4 + max 5 8'. Note that the infix operator
( */ ) may conflict with Num.( */ ) if the Num module is loaded
and opened. You can use other definitions in a similar manner, though.

You have to take care of the precedence. For example,

   3 /*min*/ 4 * 6 /*max*/ 8

will return 18 as 'max ((min 3 4) * 6) 8'. So we should write

   (3 /*min*/ 4) * (6 /*max*/ 8)

to get 24 as 'min 3 4 * max 6 8'.

The original idea was introduced in my blog a few months ago
(written in Japanese, though). At that time, I used other definitions:

   let ( <| ) x y = y x
   and ( |> ) x y = x y

or

   let ( @^ ) x y = y x
   and ( ^@ ) x y z = x z y

where the definition of ( ^@ ) should be given in a different way
because of the precedence of infix operaters starting with '^' or '@'.
These operators perform a different behavior because of the precedences
of operators.

   3 <|min|> 4 + 6 <|max|> 8 (* = max (min 3 (4 + 6)) 8 => 8 *)
   3 @^min^@ 4 + 6 @^max^@ 8 (* = min 3 (max (4 + 6) 8) => 3 *)

So you have to write

   (3 <|min|> 4) + (6 <|max|> 8)
   (3 @^min^@ 4) + (6 @^max^@ 8)

to get 11 as min 3 4 + max 5 8'.

Sincerely,

Keisuke Nakano
Department of Mathematical Informatics,
University of Tokyo

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 14:31 ` Chris King
From: Chris King @ 2006-11-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nakano; +Cc: caml-list

On 11/13/06, Keisuke Nakano <ksk@mist.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> We use the following two infix operators.
>
>    let ( /* ) x y = y x
>    and ( */ ) x y = x y
>
> Then we can make an infix operator /*f*/ for a binary function f.

That's great, I've also wished that O'Caml had syntax like this.  I
hope this makes it to the O'Caml FAQ page!

- Chris King

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 16:19 ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2006-11-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nakano; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

I don't really understand the point of the */ operator i your
definition. It's fuy ecause I've cosiderig the same problem recetly ad
came dow to this approach ( I'm redefining(@)... oe c )

On 11/13/06, Keisuke Nakano <ksk@mist.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Haskell people sometimes complain about that OCaml cannot make an
> arbitrary function infix. For example, they can write (3 `min` 4)
> to get the result of (min 3 4) in Haskell. Can we satisfy them
> without changing OCaml's syntax?
>
> Here is a simple idea for making a function infix in OCaml.
> I hope it will be useful for those who like Haskell's backquote
> notation `function_name`.
> The idea doesn't require any change of OCaml's syntax.
>
> We use the following two infix operators.
>
>    let ( /* ) x y = y x
>    and ( */ ) x y = x y
>
> Then we can make an infix operator /*f*/ for a binary function f.
> For example, using binary functions 'min' and 'max', we can write
>
>    3 /*min*/ 4 + 6 /*max*/ 8
>
> to get 11 as 'min 3 4 + max 5 8'. Note that the infix operator
> ( */ ) may conflict with Num.( */ ) if the Num module is loaded
> and opened. You can use other definitions in a similar manner, though.
>
> You have to take care of the precedence. For example,
>
>    3 /*min*/ 4 * 6 /*max*/ 8
>
> will return 18 as 'max ((min 3 4) * 6) 8'. So we should write
>
>    (3 /*min*/ 4) * (6 /*max*/ 8)
>
> to get 24 as 'min 3 4 * max 6 8'.
>

> The original idea was introduced in my blog a few months ago
> (written in Japanese, though). At that time, I used other definitions:
>
>    let ( <| ) x y = y x
>    and ( |> ) x y = x y
>
> or
>
>    let ( @^ ) x y = y x
>    and ( ^@ ) x y z = x z y
>
> where the definition of ( ^@ ) should be given in a different way
> because of the precedence of infix operaters starting with '^' or '@'.
> These operators perform a different behavior because of the precedences
> of operators.
>
>    3 <|min|> 4 + 6 <|max|> 8 (* = max (min 3 (4 + 6)) 8 => 8 *)
>    3 @^min^@ 4 + 6 @^max^@ 8 (* = min 3 (max (4 + 6) 8) => 3 *)
>
> So you have to write
>
>    (3 <|min|> 4) + (6 <|max|> 8)
>    (3 @^min^@ 4) + (6 @^max^@ 8)
>
> to get 11 as min 3 4 + max 5 8'.
>

> Sincerely,

  I don't really understand the point of (*/) in your solution (maybe
for aesthetic
  reasons?). Actually, I tried something similar very recently (and
was talking about it a couple of minutes before reading your mail):

  ( * might interact badly with camlp4 *)
let ($) f a= a f;;

let plus a b= a+b;;

4 $plus 4;;

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 17:45   ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2006-11-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Varoquaux; +Cc: Keisuke Nakano, caml-list

Till Varoquaux writes:
 > I don't really understand the point of the */ operator i your
 > definition.

I guess it is only aesthetic.

 > > We use the following two infix operators.
 > >    let ( /* ) x y = y x
 > >
 > It's fuy ecause I've cosiderig the same problem recetly ad
 > came dow to this approach ( I'm redefining(@)... oe c )

There is actually an instance of this infix operator in the ocaml
sources (in asmcomp/asmgen.ml for instance). It is used to compose the
various passes of the compiler.

--
Jean-Christophe

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 17:58   ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2006-11-13 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Varoquaux; +Cc: Keisuke Nakano, caml-list

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 17:19 +0100, Till Varoquaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't really understand the point of the */ operator i your
> definition. It's fuy ecause I've cosiderig the same problem recetly ad
> came dow to this approach ( I'm redefining(@)... oe c )

> >    let ( /* ) x y = y x
> >    and ( */ ) x y = x y

The point is precedence: consider only /* then

	x /* f y

means

	x /* (f y)

whereas

	x /* f */ y

means

	(f x) y

Of course

	x /* f */ y z

means

	f x (y z)

but then

	x + y z

also means

	(+) x (y z)

Also you can write

	x /* g h */ y

which means

	(g h) x y

which is kind of cute, eg:

	[] /* List.fold_left (fun x y -> y::x) */ [1;2;3]

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 18:29     ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2006-11-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

First of all, sorry for the garbage on top of my last mail:
my computer hates me

-to Jean Christophe: indeed, that's actually the composition function.....
-to skaller: Hum, I *should* have tested more thoroughly my "solution":

let ( /* ) x y = y x
and ( */ ) x y = x y

let sub  = (-)

4 /*sub 5
(* is -1 *)
4 /*sub*/ 5
(* is 1 *)

Regards,

Till

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 20:31       ` Karl Zilles
From: Karl Zilles @ 2006-11-13 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Varoquaux; +Cc: caml-list

Till Varoquaux wrote:
> First of all, sorry for the garbage on top of my last mail:
> my computer hates me
>
> -to Jean Christophe: indeed, that's actually the composition function.....
> -to skaller: Hum, I *should* have tested more thoroughly my "solution":
>
> let ( /* ) x y = y x
> and ( */ ) x y = x y
>
> let sub  = (-)
>
> 4 /*sub 5
> (* is -1 *)
> 4 /*sub*/ 5
> (* is 1 *)

You mean exactly the opposite, right?

# 4 /*sub 5
- : int = 1
# 4 /*sub*/ 5
- : int = -1

Pardon if I'm just not keeping up with the conversation.

* Re: [Caml-list] Simple idea for making a function infix
@ 2006-11-13 21:06         ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2006-11-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Zilles; +Cc: caml-list

My mistake...

Sorry, seems like I've been very absent minded today...

Till