From: "Till Varoquaux" <till@pps.jussieu.fr>
To: "Warren Harris" <warren@liveops.com>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] question about polymorphic methods (caml: to exclusive)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 03:25:01 +0200	[thread overview]

It appears to me as though the second argument to the format type is
used only internally in ocaml's stdlib (by mkprintf for instance) and
that it should not be exposed the way it is. I do not believe you have
a simple way to get rid of it  without resorting to some magic
(yikes):

class type out_stream =
object
 method print : string -> unit
  method printf : 'a . ('a,unit,unit) format -> 'a
 method flush : unit
end

class out_stream_of_buffer buf =
object (self)
  method print str = Buffer.add_string buf str
  method printf : 'a . ('a,unit,unit) format -> 'a =
  fun fmt -> Printf.bprintf buf (Obj.magic fmt)
 method flush = ()
end

..

There is some black (Obj.)magic going here (Printf is very magical
anyways) so you can expect troubles (unless the second parameter is
really useless).

Cheers,
Till

http://till-varoquaux.blogspot.com/