* RE: [Caml-list] Why People Aren't Using OCAML? (was Haskell)
@ 2001-03-29 14:26 Toby Moth
From: Toby Moth @ 2001-03-29 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel de Rauglaudre', caml-list

Or else we could retaliate with
a picture of an oyster with a big fat
Pe(a)rl inside.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel de Rauglaudre [mailto:daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr]
Sent: 29 March 2001 15:05
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Why People Aren't Using OCAML? (was Haskell)

> Maybe we should change the name of the language to "Objective
> Percheron" to match the book cover :-)

I heard somebody telling that my software was written in OCalm
(sounds in French as "calm water"). Therefore I suggest: a whale.

--
Daniel de RAUGLAUDRE
daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] Why People Aren't Using OCAML? (was Haskell)
@ 2001-03-24  3:17 Arturo Borquez
From: Arturo Borquez @ 2001-03-24  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattias.waldau; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 23 March 2001, "Mattias Waldau" wrote:

> Something we should think about also for Ocaml
>
> http://www.jelovic.com/articles/why_people_arent_using_haskell.htm
>
> "What can be done about this? First and foremost the Haskell community must
> make a standard distribution of Haskell that contains enough libraries to be
> useful. That should include a regular expression library, an Internet
> protocol library, a library for dealing with standard internet data and
> encoding, a crypto library, a multimedia library and a GUI library.
>
> Next, the Haskell community must step out of its research circles and start
> publicizing Haskell to the practicing programmers. Write articles in DDJ and
> similar publications. Publish real-world programs written in Haskell."
>
> Most of this is also relevant for Ocaml, for example there are
> crypto libraries and XML-support (for example PXP, which require wlex, which
> is a hazzle).

Hi Mattias:
As I am part of the 'real world programmers' from the begining I have being trying to put OCaml to work in trivial but 'real world apps' with great success. I must recognize that I am not so skilled in the language to participate in the theoric-forum, but yet I have coded some apps (server services) to my company to show the reliability of OCaml, and we are all agree that is a great language. But a great language to be successful and honour the great effort done by the authors must be promoted actively outside the research environment. I believe that lots of programmers not use OCaml because they are unaware about its existence. How to do it? The strategy and decision is to be made by INRIA and/or Caml Consortuim. Personaly I would like to see OCaml world wide spreaded playing in the 'great leages'.

http://www.shopping.altavista.com

* Re: [Caml-list] recursive modules redux, & interface files
@ 2001-03-23 18:04 Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-03-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Henderson; +Cc: Markus Mottl, Hendrik Tews, OCAML

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 22-Mar-2001, Brian Rogoff <bpr@best.com> wrote:
> > I haven't found in
> > my own programming a compelling case where module spanning mutually
> > recursive function definitions were an issue. Is it possible to produce a
> > reasonably sized example, Hendrik (or Chris)?
>
> In the Mercury compiler, we have made significant use of module spanning
> mutually recursive procedures.  For example, the code generator
> is split among several modules, roughly for each language construct
> (e.g. ite_gen handles code generation for if-then-elses,
> switch_gen handles code generation for switches, etc.),
> and since if-then-elses can contain switches (and vice versa),
> the procedures in these modules are mutually recursive.

Interesting. A similar example occurred in a discussion in comp.lang.ml
between Matthias Blume and Greg Morrissett (concerning datatypes not
functions) where MB argued as an SML/NJ maintainer that such recurrences
were best placed in the same module and GM thought it best that they be
split even though recursive. Clearly I lean towards MB's view on this
though I take it that there are other schools of thought.

What is your criteria for splitting the functions into different modules?

-- Brian