From: Eray Ozkural <examachine@gmail.com>
To: Jon Harrop <jonathandeanharrop@googlemail.com>
Cc: Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net>,
	Vincent Gripon <vincent.gripon@telecom-bretagne.eu>,
	caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Compiling Ocaml sources to c sources
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:38:55 +0300	[thread overview]

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Jon Harrop <
jonathandeanharrop@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Hmm, this would only optimize the bytecode fetch/decode step of the ocaml
> execution cycle. I am not sure that it will result in much real-world
> speedup.
>
> Would be interesting to try. I suspect the C compiler would then optimize
> the sequences of operations on the data as well. For example, something
> like
> vector addition.
>
> > In fact, that seems to be the main problem with many of these so-called
> JIT interpreters, which in my opinion, do not seem to have learnt from the
> HAL architectures of IBM OS's etc. Was probably also the problem with
> Transmeta; cheap compilation entails cheap performance.
>
> Can you elaborate?

Well, what I would do is to apply a fully optimizing compiler from a proper
hardware abstraction layer, whether it is JIT is irrelevant, but I do not
see why the system would not start doing this as soon as the code is loaded
in some place (and not when it starts to run). What is certain is that some
simple transformation will not speed things up much.

The right way to do it is to determine hot blocks beforehand. Hot blocks can
also be determined on the fly but I do not think that JIT is much needed.
The time of the determination of hot blocks is most certainly not crucial to
optimizations, although the more time compiler has, the better. Simple
optimizations will not have much impact. It is not like you can undo the
complexity of an optimizing compiler just because you have JIT.

In Transmeta's case, you can't translate an obsolete RISC code to efficient
VLIW in real-time. This seems to be putting too much strain on the
translation. Which ought to be obvious given the complexity of VLIW
compilers? Sometimes outsiders have a better view.

Best,

--
Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara