* specific ocaml software dependency question
@ 2010-10-01 18:52 Aaron Bohannon
From: Aaron Bohannon @ 2010-10-01 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Hi, I want to install Coq 8.3 + CoqIDE on my office's openSUSE Linux
machine (to which I do not have root access).  It depends on camlp5,
which was no problem for me to install in my home directory.  It also
depends on lablgtk2, which our sys-admins have installed on our
machines, but they or openSUSE must have screwed it up because
"dlllablgtk2.so" is nowhere to be found (I've looked), and this causes
my Coq compilation to fail.  I grudgingly decided to try to compile
and install lablgtk2 myself in my home directory, but its "configure"
script fails with the error "Cannot find camlp4o."  So I guess I need
to find camlp4 now, but Google has been of no help -- when you search
for camlp4, you only get pages talking about camlp5 (which, of course,
used to be called camlp4).  This is seeming WAY harder than it should
be.  Can anybody help?

 - Aaron

* Re: [Caml-list] specific ocaml software dependency question
@ 2010-10-01 19:06 ` Alexandre Pilkiewicz
From: Alexandre Pilkiewicz @ 2010-10-01 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Bohannon; +Cc: OCaml List

Hi Aaron!

If you have ocaml, you should have camlp4 since it's part of the
standard distribution.

For all "manual" installation of common ocaml programs, you should
really look in the direction of godi (http://godi.camlcity.org). You
should be able to install lablgtk2 from here without big difficulties.

Good luck anyways

Alexandre

@ 2010-10-01 19:38   ` Aaron Bohannon
From: Aaron Bohannon @ 2010-10-01 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Pilkiewicz; +Cc: OCaml List

Thanks Alexandre!

Well, it appears that, either due to openSUSE or our sys-admins,
camlp4 is actually *not* part of the installation of OCaml 3.11 on our
workstations.

The need for GODI has always baffled me.  There's plenty of OCaml
software available in good system-wide package managers (e.g.,
macports, which I use on OS X), and, at the same time, there are
always going to be *some* packages or software versions that are not
in GODI and so I'll have to end up manually installing those anyway.
If I use GODI too, then there would be at least three different places
my OCaml software might be living, at which point I start getting
confused.

That being said, the OCaml packages on my office machine are
sufficiently screwed up that starting from scratch with GODI may be my
best option in this case.

 - Aaron