It's obvious that avoiding pointer chasing, improving locality and reducing storage will in some cases improve performance considerably. I've found many discussions about unboxing, but I haven't seen any solutions that would satisfy high-performance-computing programmers, who would probably like to have better (i.e. fine-grained) control over memory layout (unboxing double arrays isn't enough). In C++ this is trivial, because C++ is just an abstraction of assembly code. To cut it short, could not we have basically the same affordances of C++ in ocaml by annotating type definitions to indicate where unboxing would be forced? Such annotations aren't a new idea in programming languages, specifically HPF was based largely on parallel storage annotations. Regards, -- Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara