On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Jon Harrop < jonathandeanharrop@googlemail.com> wrote: > > * Hacking a C generator inside Ocaml is non-trivial, because of the > > garbage collector, currified function calls, and tail recursion > > etc. > > BTW, I was always surprised nobody had converted the bytecode interpreter > into a via-C compiler by unwinding the C code the interpreter goes through > to execute a specific OCaml bytecode program. You could even use this with > something like Clang to get JIT compilation to native code. Not very > efficient but surely much faster than interpreted bytecode... > Hmm, this would only optimize the bytecode fetch/decode step of the ocaml execution cycle. I am not sure that it will result in much real-world speedup. In fact, that seems to be the main problem with many of these so-called JIT interpreters, which in my opinion, do not seem to have learnt from the HAL architectures of IBM OS's etc. Was probably also the problem with Transmeta; cheap compilation entails cheap performance. Best, -- Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ai-philosophy http://myspace.com/arizanesil http://myspace.com/malfunct