* Re: WAS Re: [Caml-list] Compiling Ocaml sources to c sources
       [not found] <AANLkTimMzxvi9ErM-+4+rgAPCbv9TMnQn5rywcoTNnHb@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-09-15 13:11 ` Vincent Gripon
From: Vincent Gripon @ 2010-09-15 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: caml-list

  Hello Grant,

This would likely be accepted by the contest, but it would force me to
boot on my windows partition (which I prefer not to!). As Basile
proposed another working suggestion, we will avoid the use of .Net.

The contest is IEEEXtreme programming competition (
http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/students/competitions/xtreme/index.html
).

Cheers.

On 09/14/2010 02:36 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:
>  From what I've heard on-list, OCaml and F# are pretty similar; to the
> point where F# can compile OCaml.
>
> You *could* write it in OCaml, compile it under F#, and call the
> library from a C# program that only has as 'main' function.
>
> What contest are you entering?
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Vincent Gripon
> <vincent.gripon@telecom-bretagne.eu>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are currently planing to participate to a programming contest. This
>> contest allows the use of four languages (C/C#/C++/java) but not OCaml.
>>
>> We would like to use Ocaml as it is to us the language that fits the most
>> the kind of exercises proposed. The organizers don't mind if we use OCaml as
>> long as we provide an easily compilable C source to them, even if it is not
>> readable.
>>
>> Is there any platform independent way to compile OCaml sources to C
>> sources?  And if not, do you have any pointer (we gave a try at compiling
>> OCaml sources to C object files using the -output-obj option but couldn't
>> compile then the resulting file with our C compiler)?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Vincent

[-- Attachment #2: vincent_gripon.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Vincent Gripon
n:Gripon;Vincent
org:Telecom Bretagne;Computer Science and Telecommunications
adr:;;Telecom Bretagne - Technopole Brest Iroise;Brest Cedex 3;;29238;France
email;internet:vincent.gripon@ens-cachan.org
title:PhD Student
tel;work:+0033 2 29 00 1586
url:http://perso.eleves.bretagne.ens-cachan.fr/~gripon
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: WAS Re: [Caml-list] Compiling Ocaml sources to c sources
@ 2010-09-15 15:22   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2010-09-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Gripon; +Cc: caml-list

You can do F# with Mono.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Vincent Gripon
<vincent.gripon@telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:
>  Hello Grant,
>
> This would likely be accepted by the contest, but it would force me to boot
> on my windows partition (which I prefer not to!). As Basile proposed another
> working suggestion, we will avoid the use of .Net.
>
> The contest is IEEEXtreme programming competition (
> http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/students/competitions/xtreme/index.html
> ).
>
> Cheers.
>
> On 09/14/2010 02:36 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:
>>
>>  From what I've heard on-list, OCaml and F# are pretty similar; to the
>> point where F# can compile OCaml.
>>
>> You *could* write it in OCaml, compile it under F#, and call the
>> library from a C# program that only has as 'main' function.
>>
>> What contest are you entering?
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Vincent Gripon
>> <vincent.gripon@telecom-bretagne.eu>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are currently planing to participate to a programming contest. This
>>> contest allows the use of four languages (C/C#/C++/java) but not OCaml.
>>>
>>> We would like to use Ocaml as it is to us the language that fits the most
>>> the kind of exercises proposed. The organizers don't mind if we use OCaml
>>> as
>>> long as we provide an easily compilable C source to them, even if it is
>>> not
>>> readable.
>>>
>>> Is there any platform independent way to compile OCaml sources to C
>>> sources?  And if not, do you have any pointer (we gave a try at compiling
>>> OCaml sources to C object files using the -output-obj option but couldn't
>>> compile then the resulting file with our C compiler)?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Vincent

http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
ACM, AMA, COG, IEEE