On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote: > 4) Do some magic with Event.t? > > Problem: never used this and I could use a small example how to use > this. > Event.t (and its associated library) *is* magical in that it provides an absolutely beautiful concurrent programming model. Forget about select() and mutexes and other ugly threading concepts. Event.t and friends is how it should be done. John H. Reppy's "Concurrent Programming in ML" provides a thorough understanding of how to use this module effectively. This book presents the material in a very understandable way: deficiencies in current threading models are discussed as well as how CML solves the limitations and constraints. The book can be purchased or downloaded free online. The few applications I've written that use CML, I found it was more than sufficient (speed-wise). Whether your application is more demanding, I can't tell. Hopefully someone on the list with more experience can comment whether there are caveats (performance-related or others) in OCaml's support of CML. If there are, there should be an effort in fixing the problems (I would help in any way I could.) I'd also recommend incorporating Satoshi Ogasawara's Concurrent Cell project into the standard library. (This project adds IVars and MVars and other constructs described in John H. Reppy's book, but not available in the OCaml standard library.) Hope this helps! -- Rich Google Reader: https://www.google.com/reader/shared/rich.neswold Jabber ID: rich@neswold.homeunix.net