2011/3/31 Philippe Strauss > > Le 31 mars 2011 à 10:19, Pierre-Alexandre Voye a écrit : > > It's funny, because I'm studying why language succeed or not, for my M1 > dissertation (M1 Management), and it's one of the big factor, among others, > of sucess. > Ocaml is highly expressive, so you could turn around, but it's a big > problem. > > I think it would be important and interesting to create a little > organization which discuss bout a standard lib and would begin making a > synthesis of all these "standard" library. > > > Personally I'm not that unhappy with the standard lib shipped by INRIA. > > maybe batteries and janestreet core (to name nowadays alternatives) have > too big ambitions: extension library aside INRIA's standard lib would have > more users than a complete alternative. > > the way you can get haskell packaged easily, on the contrary, as some big > appeal. > > > I think INRIA, and in particular the Xavier Leroy's team, make what they can. Their work isn't to maintain OCaml but mainly to do research. So, I think INRIA could continue to work on a good compiler, and company which make business whith ocaml could discuss between them to agreed on standards, via Ocamlcore for instance, with the agreement of Xavier Leroy's team of course. -- --------------------- Isaac Project - http://www.lisaac.org/