On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM, David Rajchenbach-Teller < David.Teller@univ-orleans.fr> wrote: > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't classify Erlang as "pure": sending > and receiving messages -- which are two of the most important primitives in > Erlang -- are definitely side-effects. > Also, asynchronous error-checking, Mnesia, etc. look quite impure to me. > > I also vaguely remember Simon Peyton-Jones declaring something along the > lines of "The next Haskell will be strict". > > There was a strict compiler for Haskell, whatever happened to it? Most times I found it cumbersome to deal with the performance effects of default laziness. Best, -- Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ai-philosophy http://myspace.com/arizanesil http://myspace.com/malfunct