On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Sylvain Le Gall wrote: > Hi, > > On 13-09-2010, Eray Ozkural wrote: > > Hi there, > > > > What exactly are the requirements for substituting the current GC with > > another, preferably non-locking, GC? Any pitfalls I wouldn't see just > > reading the code? > > > > The GC is deeply interacting with the the rest of the compiler. I think > you will spend a lot of time on this task. > > Deeply interacting with the compiler, how? Not through the public interface of GC? Do you mean it is not used in a clean way? > I would recommend you trying OC4MC, which is probably what you are > looking for: > http://www.algo-prog.info/ocmc/web/ > > Yes, I've seen it but it's a work in progress, and it's being rewritten from scratch. > They show quite interesting results using Thread at the last OCaml > Meeting, though they are still some bugs (almost linear speed-up with > multicore). > What exactly is the GC being used there? Is it a custom algorithm or a known one? Could we plug our own algorithm to the oc4mc if it has already provided the basic changes to substitute the GC? Best, -- Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ai-philosophy http://myspace.com/arizanesil http://myspace.com/malfunct