* Re: [Caml-list] Style question
@ 2001-09-11 18:58 Krishnaswami, Neel
From: Krishnaswami, Neel @ 2001-09-11 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Brian Rogoff [mailto:bpr@best.com] wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> >
> > My personal opinion is that using modules is preferable even in SML,
> > its local being an anachronism from the pre-module days, just like
> > abstype. I almost never use it. It only comes in handy in conjunction
> > with open:
>
> Right, but I assume you know the workaround, since you decribe it in a
> followup, and I assume you've read this page
>
>   http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~rossberg/SMLvsOcaml.html
>
> I just wish the author would update the section on localdecs
> to mention using modules instead of local open :-)

Is this a subtle joke that I'm missing? Andreas Rossberg *wrote* that
page!

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@cswcasa.com

* RE: [Caml-list] Style question
@ 2001-09-12 10:24 Dave Berry
From: Dave Berry @ 2001-09-12 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Rogoff, caml-list

It's certainly not a style I would consider using in SML itself.  I
haven't written enough OCaml code to say how I would write this in
OCaml.

My preferred solution would be simply to allow a "local" prefix to any
declaration, which would indicate that that entity would not be visible
outside the current scope.

Dave.