* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml on OS X intel platform
       [not found] <20060222091303.1D408BBE1@yquem.inria.fr>
@ 2006-02-22 14:28 ` j h woodyatt
From: j h woodyatt @ 2006-02-22 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On February 21, 2006 5:36:43 PM PST, David Powers
<david@grayskies.net> wrote:

> I am attempting to install ocaml on a new OS X intel laptop, and a
> few hours of poking has gotten me the bytecode tools, but not the
> native compiler.  Is there any existing work on getting the native
> compiler working under the new Intel macs - or, failing that, would
> anyone like an ssh login to a machine to try their hand at getting
> it working?  Since it is basically a BSD system with an intel chip
> I'm hoping that its more a matter of some autoconfigure foo than
> anything else.

What would be really cool here is the possibility of "universal"
native code on Mac OS X.  I wonder if the .cmx and .cmxa file formats
can do that?  (I'm just expressing a naïve hope.)

—
j h woodyatt <jhw@conjury.org>

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml on OS X intel platform
@ 2006-02-22 18:18   ` Corey O'Connor
From: Corey O'Connor @ 2006-02-22 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j h woodyatt; +Cc: caml-list

On 2/22/06, j h woodyatt <jhw@conjury.org> wrote:

> What would be really cool here is the possibility of "universal"
> native code on Mac OS X.  I wonder if the .cmx and .cmxa file formats
> can do that?  (I'm just expressing a naïve hope.)

There may be no need to do anything special to .cmx .cmxa files. I
believe the command lipo can be used to combine a PPC and X86 binary,
once created, into a universal binary.

--
-Corey O'Connor

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml on OS X intel platform
@ 2006-02-22 18:35     ` David Powers
From: David Powers @ 2006-02-22 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey O'Connor; +Cc: j h woodyatt, caml-list

That would work if you had both the PPC and Intel versions on hand - can
the compiler be induced to output both of those on the same machine?

-David

@ 2006-02-22 18:56       ` James Woodyatt
From: James Woodyatt @ 2006-02-22 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Feb 22, 2006, at 10:35 AM, David Powers wrote:

> That would work if you had both the PPC and Intel versions on hand
> - can the compiler be induced to output both of those on the same
> machine?

I have long mused about the possibility of having native OCaml cross-
compilers (I work on embedded software).  The Mac OS X universal
binary problem is a special case of the more general problem I'm to
which I'm adding my voice for the wishing of a solution.

—
j h woodyatt <jhw@conjury.org>

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml on OS X intel platform
@ 2006-02-22 11:10   ` David Powers
From: David Powers @ 2006-02-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David MENTRE; +Cc: caml-list

Most excellent - I will contact him off list and at least offer him a
shell account in the hopes that it can be helpful to the process.

thanks,
David

@ 2006-02-22  8:14 ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2006-02-22  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)