* Re[2]: How to cleanly encode "quasi-constants"?
@ 2000-06-23  8:04 emmanuel.engel
From: emmanuel.engel @ 2000-06-23  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Syme; +Cc: 'David.Mentre@irisa.fr', caml-list

What prevent you from doing arbitrary computations at initialization time ?
These computations can be used to initialize your quasi-constants.

eg :

let s =
  let arg1 = ref false
  in  Arg.parse  [("arg1", Arg.Set arg1)] (fun _ -> ()) "" ;
      if arg1 then "arg1 is set" else "arg1 is not set"

let main () =
   print_string s ;

let _ = main ()

Theses initalizations can be done in different modules. As long as i can
remember the order
of modules on command line at link time is relevent for initialization order.

Emmanuel Engel

Don Syme <dsyme@microsoft.com>
06/21/2000 07:59:22 PM GMT

|-----------------------------------------------------------+------------------|
|                                                           |Return Receipt: No|
| To:  "'David.Mentre@irisa.fr'" <David.Mentre@irisa.fr>    |Importance: Normal|
|      caml-list@inria.fr                                   |                  |
| cc:   (bcc: Emmanuel ENGEL/eqty/fr/socgen)                |                  |
|                                                           |                  |
|-----------------------------------------------------------+------------------|

SUBJECT: RE: How to cleanly encode "quasi-constants"?

You have spotted a problem with ML-style type systems - they are not great
at encoding the kind of "phasing" of initialization that you refer to
(neither most are other type systems, though of course one could imagine a
type system that allowed you to express this sort of thing).  However, the
"constants" you refer to can encode quite complex computations (including
allocation of data structures, e.g. let x = [2;3;5]]), which is a big
advantage compared to, say, C, but it does not cover everything.  So in
practice people tend to make do with constant values until the
initialization sequence gets too complicated, then move to references, but
with the knowledge that these references are set once-for-all.  Hiding the
references behind functions is, as you say, often a good idea.

Basically, don't be afraid of using references for this kind of thing - it's
one of the reasons they are in the language.

Cheers,
Don