* vm in ocaml
@ 2010-02-03 15:47 Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2010-02-03 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have a translator from a Pascal-like trading language written in OCaml and I need the output to run as a DLL embedded in a trading platform.

I'm thinking of generating bytecode and have the user pass the path to the bytecode file to the DLL during initialization.

I don't want to load source code into my runtime since I want to do a lot of error checking on it to make sure the runtime experience is smooth. I don't want to ship ocamlc, etc. since I want to have a single executable. I'm not sure if embedding OCaml (and thus a license!) is needed to generate OCaml bytecode in my scenario, so the bytecode I'm talking about is my bytecode.

I understand that a bit of C will be required to wrap the OCaml runtime in a DLL. I would prefer to stay with OCaml for the whole project which prompts my question...

Has anyone used OCaml to write a virtual machine?

How big is the OCaml runtime when bundled as a DLL or shared library?

	Thanks, Joel

---
http://es.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont