* Compiling latest cvs version of ocaml on cygwin
@ 2006-09-28 17:08 George Necula
From: George Necula @ 2006-09-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

 I am trying to compile the latest cvs version of ocaml sources on
cygwin. I get the following error messag:

cd camlp4; make all
make[1]: Entering directory
`/cygdrive/c/Programs/ocaml-cvs-cygwin/camlp4'
../boot/ocamlrun -I ../otherlibs/unix -I ../otherlibs/win32unix ../ocaml
-I ../stdlib -I ../otherlibs/unix build/build.ml
Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.
Reference to undefined global `Unix'

  Does anybody know if there is an easy fix?

  BTW, I need the cvs version because of some fixes that did not make it
in 3.09.3

Thanks,
George

* Re: [Caml-list] Compiling latest cvs version of ocaml on cygwin
@ 2006-09-28 17:23 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-09-28 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Necula; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, George Necula wrote:

>  I am trying to compile the latest cvs version of ocaml sources on
> cygwin. I get the following error messag:
>
> cd camlp4; make all
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/cygdrive/c/Programs/ocaml-cvs-cygwin/camlp4'
> ../boot/ocamlrun -I ../otherlibs/unix -I ../otherlibs/win32unix ../ocaml
> -I ../stdlib -I ../otherlibs/unix build/build.ml
> Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
> Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.
> Reference to undefined global `Unix'
>
>   Does anybody know if there is an easy fix?
>
>   BTW, I need the cvs version because of some fixes that did not make it
> in 3.09.3

George,

Neither 3.09.3 nor the current cvs HEAD compiled OOTB under Cygwin with
full fuctionality.  I've made some changes that enabled dynamic loading,
etc, for the currently released package.  I also had a more extensive set
of changes that allowed a more seamless integration with Cygwin, but those
apparently broke the one major user of O'Caml under Cygwin (namely
Unison), and I had no chance to investigate that.  I don't have much time
to work on it right now, but I can certainly send you the patch I used.
Please let me know if you succeed in adapting it for cvs HEAD.

Igor Peshansky, the Cygwin O'Caml maintainer
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: [Caml-list] Compiling latest cvs version of ocaml on cygwin
@ 2006-09-28 17:45 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2006-09-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Necula; +Cc: caml-list

Hello George,

>  I am trying to compile the latest cvs version of ocaml sources on
> cygwin. I get the following error messag:
>
> cd camlp4; make all
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/cygdrive/c/Programs/ocaml-cvs-cygwin/camlp4'
> ../boot/ocamlrun -I ../otherlibs/unix -I ../otherlibs/win32unix ../ocaml
> -I ../stdlib -I ../otherlibs/unix build/build.ml
> Cannot load required shared library dllunix.
> Reason: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.
> Reference to undefined global `Unix'

The new Camlp4, or more exactly the build procedure for the new Camlp4,
needs some porting to work under Windows.  I'm working on it when I can
find the time.  If you're in a hurry, and do not use Camlp4, consider
changing the top Makefile to not build it.

- Xavier

* RE: [Caml-list] Compiling latest cvs version of ocaml on cygwin
@ 2006-09-28 18:39   ` George Necula
From: George Necula @ 2006-09-28 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

 Hi,

   Ok, I am glad that I am not alone. For now I use 3.09.3 (which
compiled for me) and I will watch out for announcements when I can
compile the HEAD of the revision tree.

    Unfortunately, I need camlp4 because I am hacking on Coq.

George.

@ 2006-09-29  2:20     ` Andy Ray
From: Andy Ray @ 2006-09-29  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Necula; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

If you're stuck using windows but needing unix/linux then I'd recommend
colinux:

http://www.colinux.org/

Takes a bit to install and set up but in my experience has provided a
nearly flawless linux environment.

Cheers,

Andy

@ 2006-09-29  3:32       ` Ken Rose
From: Ken Rose @ 2006-09-29  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Andy Ray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you're stuck using windows but needing unix/linux then I'd recommend
> colinux:
>
> http://www.colinux.org/
>
> Takes a bit to install and set up but in my experience has provided a
> nearly flawless linux environment.

It's worked well for me, too.

 - ken