From: Didier Cassirame <didier.cassirame@gmail.com>
To: Christopher Zimmermann <madroach@gmerlin.de>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Re: typing mutually recursive classes
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 22:35:51 +0200	[thread overview]

Your first two examples compile without problem on my system, using either
v. 3.11.2 or 4.00.
If you use a parameterized registry class on the element type, you will not
be able to store polymorphic values, which is, I reckon, what you
probably want to achieve.
I don't think there's a way to avoid casting the parameters of set to the
#element superclass outside the set method. If you only have one final
element class, just use the parameterized version of the registry, or
replace the register method by a private register_elem method, and add a
public register method in the subclass, doing the cast.

Something like that :

module P =
struct

  class element id (registry :registry) =
  object
    method registry = registry
  end

  and registry =
  object
    val mutable set : element list = []
    method register_elem : element -> unit =
      fun s ->
        set <- s :: set
  end

end

module I =
struct

  class element id registry =
    let r = (registry :> P.registry) in
  object(self)

    inherit P.element id r as super

  end

  class registry =
  object(self)

    inherit P.registry as super

    method register : element -> unit =
      fun x -> super#register_elem (x :> P.element)

  end

end

Cheers,

Didier