async_extended has Async_extended.Std.Reader.with_xzip_file https://ocaml.janestreet.com/ocaml-core/latest/doc/async_extended/Std/Reader.mod/#/with_xzip_file.val Internally it just invokes xzcat, which may or may not satisfy your requirements. There's (as far as I know) no provided way to write xz files. On 9 September 2016 at 03:45, Eric Cooper wrote: > In approx, I just use a Sys.command call to decompress to a temporary > file and then open that. It has these benefits: > * for gzip at least, it's faster than camlzip > * easily detects corrupted files (reading the output stream of a > decompressor doesn't do that until it's too late) > * easy to change compression schemes or support multiple ones based > on file extension, say > > -- > Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >