That sounds promising. I look forward to your patch. :) On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:54 PM, David Allsopp wrote: > Yes – I had patched it for MSVC. The results are very good and at some > point I’ll package it up properly for merging. > > > > Note that the interop is trickier for the mingw ports because the > resulting executables need to be able to call *into* LXSS. There’s also > some pain with setting environment variables when calling Win32 processes, > which is why I hadn’t got around to finishing it off. > > > > Cygwin will only truly redundant if/when LXSS is available on all > platforms – it’s only Windows 10 and not Server 2016 (to say nothing of > older versions of Windows). > > > > > > --dra > > > > *From:* caml-list-request@inria.fr [mailto:caml-list-request@inria.fr] *On > Behalf Of *Bikal Gurung > *Sent:* 16 March 2017 12:09 > *To:* David Scott ; paul.lachat@edu.univ-fcomte.fr > *Cc:* caml-list@inria.fr > *Subject:* Re: [Caml-list] [Question] Named pipe on Windows. > > > > With regards to ocaml on windows, has anyone tried using bash on windows > and ocaml built using msvc/mingw? > > Bash on windows now supports calling native windows binaries from within > the bash shell itself. > > > > https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/interop# > invoking-windows-binaries-from-wsl > > > > I am guessing this probably makes Cygwin redundant as a ocaml build > environment. > > > > On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 at 09:38, David Scott wrote: > > Hi, > > > > On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:02 AM, wrote: > > Hello, > > I need to setup communication between two Ocaml processes on Windows. > I think that using the named pipe of Windows is the good method to do this > task. > > But I can't find any module for Ocaml who allow using the system call of > Windows. > > > > I have already find this module https://opam.ocaml.org/ > packages/named-pipe/, but it use C, > and I would like to avoid depending on another langage than Ocaml or > software like Cygwin. > > > > Although I'm one of the authors of that particular library I now prefer to > use this other library instead: > > > > https://github.com/fdopen/uwt > > https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/uwt/ > > > > where "Uwt.Pipe" is a Unix domain socket on Unix and a named pipe on > Windows. I'm very happy with "uwt" -- it seems to be very stable and > reliable, despite the relatively low version number. > > > > Personally I don't want my final executables to depend on the cygwin.dll > but I don't mind if my development environment uses cygwin for the Unix > utilities like "make", "vi" etc. I usually install OCaml one Windows using > this installer: > > > > http://fdopen.github.io/opam-repository-mingw/installation/ > > > > -- this installs everything you need (including Cygwin). I then `opam > install` my dependencies and `make`, like I can on Unix. My resulting .exe > files are independent of cygwin.dll and I ship them as-is. > > > > Hope this helps a little, > > > > Dave > > > > > Does anybody know a way to use named pipe of Windows in Ocaml ? > > Thank you in advance for your answer ! > > Ps : Sorry if it's the wrong mailing list to ask, it's the first time I > use one. > > > > > > -- > > Dave Scott > >