* [Caml-list] [ANN] OCamlOScope: a new OCaml API search
@ 2013-07-05  2:11 Jun Furuse
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jun Furuse @ 2013-07-05  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

I have launched a new OCaml API search, OCaml◎Scope at
http://ocamloscope.herokuapp.com .

OCaml◎Scope is a type directed library search, derived work from OCaml API
Search by Mizuno and its ancestor OCamlBrowser by Garrigue. It is also
inspired from Hoogle, the same API search engine for Haskell by MItchell,
which I regularly use in my Haskell :-) job.

* Fast and Portable. It loads everything in memory, unlike OCaml API Search
and OCamlBrowser which load compiled interface files (*.cmi) dynamically.
The data file is extracted from compiled files but self-contained, so the
search engine does not require to compile the libraries locally.
* No use of unification but edit distance of types like Hoogle. Unification
does not provide good results in type directed search, and is costy.
* OCamlFind and OPAM friendly. OCaml◎Scope knows which items are from which
OCamlFind and OPAM packages.
* OCamlDoc: it also extracts OCamlDoc comments, if possible.
* Small: it can even run as a heroku app. Currently it carries 245k entries
from 76 OCamlFind packages including Core and Batteries, but the data file
(as a marshalled OCaml value) is still 20Mb.

There are lots of todos but I think the search results look well sane so
far. If you find something strange please drop by
https://bitbucket.org/camlspotter/ocamloscope-server/issues?status=new&status=open
and
leave some comments. Thanks!

Jun Furuse