* [Caml-list] First class modules sub-typing
@ 2014-10-21  7:49 Thomas Braibant
From: Thomas Braibant @ 2014-10-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I am slightly puzzled by a type-error related to first class modules.
I am basically defining two types (see full example below)

```
type t = (module A)
type 'a s = (module A with type I.t = 'a)
```

and I expect a value of type `'a s` can be coerced to a value of type
t. However, this is obviously not the case because I get the following
error message, and I wonder why.

```
(* Error: This expression has type a s = (module A with type I.t = a) *)
(*        but an expression was expected of type t = (module A) *)
```

Is there a common pattern to deal with this situation? Any pointers appreciated.

Best,
Thomas

(* Full example *)

module type IN = sig
  type t
  val of_string : string -> t
  val to_string : t -> string
end

module type A = sig
  module I : IN
  val v : string
end

type t = (module A)
type 'a s = (module A with type I.t = 'a)

let test1 : t -> string = fun (module T) -> T.v
(* let test2 : 'a s -> string = fun (module T) -> T.v

   The type of this packed module contains variables:
   'a s
*)
let test3 (type a) : a s -> string = fun (module T) -> T.v
let test4 (type a) : a s -> string = fun t -> test1 t
(* Error: This expression has type a s = (module A with type I.t = a) *)
(*        but an expression was expected of type t = (module A) *)

module A1 : A = struct
  module I : IN = struct
    type t = int
    let of_string = int_of_string
    let to_string = string_of_int
  end
  let v = "A1"
end

let _ = test1 (module A1) (* OK *)
let _ = test3 (module A1) (* OK *)

* Re: [Caml-list] First class modules sub-typing
@ 2014-10-21  8:12 ` Jeremy Yallop
From: Jeremy Yallop @ 2014-10-21  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 October 2014 08:49, Thomas Braibant <thomas.braibant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am slightly puzzled by a type-error related to first class modules.
> I am basically defining two types (see full example below)
>
> ```
> type t = (module A)
> type 'a s = (module A with type I.t = 'a)
> ```
>
> and I expect a value of type `'a s` can be coerced to a value of type
> t. However, this is obviously not the case because I get the following
> error message, and I wonder why.

Conversions between first class module types need explicit coercions.
It's sufficient to change your test4 function as follows:

@ 2014-10-21  8:14   ` Jeremy Yallop
From: Jeremy Yallop @ 2014-10-21  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 October 2014 09:12, Jeremy Yallop <yallop@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 October 2014 08:49, Thomas Braibant <thomas.braibant@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am slightly puzzled by a type-error related to first class modules.
>> I am basically defining two types (see full example below)
>>
>> ```
>> type t = (module A)
>> type 'a s = (module A with type I.t = 'a)
>> ```
>>
>> and I expect a value of type `'a s` can be coerced to a value of type
>> t. However, this is obviously not the case because I get the following
>> error message, and I wonder why.
>
> Conversions between first class module types need explicit coercions.
> It's sufficient to change your test4 function as follows:
>
>> let test4 (type a) : a s -> string = fun t -> test1 t
>
>    let test4 (type a) : a s -> string = fun t -> test1 (t :> (module A))

or you can, of course, use the alias 't' to coerce:

      let test4 (type a) : a s -> string = fun t -> test1 (t :> t)