Ah great. Thank you. For reference (for future readers of the caml-list archive perhaps), I can confirm that ocaml-re supports functionality to specify first or shortest or longest match. Tom On 1 October 2014 17:28, Xavier Leroy wrote: > On 29/09/14 22:04, Tom Ridge wrote: > > I am trying to use the Str module to match regular expressions. I want to > > return the longest match.[...] I don't want the order of > > the alternatives to matter. What am I doing wrong? > > Nothing: it's just that Str has first-match semantics, not longest-match. > > > What can I do to match the longest substring? > > In this particular example, you can sort the string patterns in > decreasing lexicographic order before putting them in ...|...|... > > In more general case, you might have more luck with other regexp > libraries (e.g. PCRE or Vouillon's RE, but I didn't check whether they > implement longest match). > > Hope this helps, > > - Xavier Leroy > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >