Isn't this rather complicated? In this case, has there been any progress on "single line" comments eg // some comment ? I think this was mentioned recently on the list. (I am also aware that // is verboten for some reason). It seems to me that multiline comments are a poor design choice. Single line comments permit commenting arbitrary blocks (just prepend each line with "//"), and play well with nested comments (no problem if a line starts "// //" etc). Also, they are very simple to implement in the lexer. Please can we have support for simple (ie from the token "//" to the end-of-line, no messing with string literals etc) single line comments? Thanks On 14 September 2016 at 13:38, David Allsopp wrote: > Tom Ridge wrote: > > My opam install of ocaml 4.03.1 seems to compile the following: > > > > (* " *) > > is this ml? > > (* " *) > > > > Presumably the parser thinks the comment extends from l.1 to l.3 > > Correct. > > > Is this intended? > > Yes - string literals are parsed in comments. Brackets, quotes, etc. need > to match. Weird as that can seem at first encounter, it permits arbitrary > commenting out of blocks of code, which is quite useful... > > > David > >