From: Tao Stein <taostein@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] error messages in multiple languages ?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 21:20:39 +0800	[thread overview]

Would people have concerns creating a compiler build dependency on
libgettext ?

Another concern is that xgettext seems to lack an OCaml back-end.

Also, there may be some advantages to having all the language strings
together in one file, as in the 1997 Caml Light implementation Xavier
shared. As opposed to the many .po files of a typical gettext workflow.
With one file it's easy to see all the translations for a string at once,
to ensure consistency. The gettext workflow, though somewhat complex, may
be more scalable. Though it's not clear to me paying for the scalability
with the additional complexity is worth it in this case. I'm undecided.

In terms of gettext versus catgets, some more knowledgeable people may have
better opinions. Searching around a bit, it seems that gettext is used more
often in open-source projects.

Tao Stein / 石涛 / تاو شتاين