From: David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
To: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] OCaml editor running tests or other tasks in background?
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 18:00:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Somebody has recently shown me the NCrunch (http://www.ncrunch.net/)
plug-in running under Microsoft Visual Studio and I was quite
impressed by it. This plug-in allows to define and run a test suite on
a C# program. The very nice thing about NCrunch is that the tests are
run in the background, without any user intervention (without even the
need to save files!). A set of coloured icons are displayed next to
each test to see if the test succeeded or not and some additional
pop-ups or right-clicks bring additional information. This approach
brings a very fluent way to develop some code and test it
simultaneously.

In the same spirit, I have seen the Dafny development environment for
proved programs
(https://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/dafny/), still on
Visual Studio, where this time Verification Conditions and proofs of
the program being edited are generated and run in the background, with
coloured icons displaying the result. Once again, no need for the user
to click on icons or do any specific action.

So my question: are there similar OCaml editors available or being
worked on that would allow running tasks in the background and
displaying result in the editor without user intervention?

There is apparently a lot of development in the OCaml development
environment these days so somebody might already work on something
similar.

By "OCaml editor", I am voluntarily ambiguous: I am interested in both
editor to program in OCaml and editor programmed in OCaml (or
interfaced with OCaml) and which could be used for other languages.

Best regards,
david