For what it's worth, my feeling is that even if there weren't technical reasons to require the "rec'' marking for recursive functions, I would want it as a language feature. Recursive definitions are harder to understand than non recursive ones, and it's helpful to have the static guarantee that only definitions so marked will be allowed to refer to themselves. This makes it hard to mistakenly refer to yourself, which I think is a real source of error. y On Jan 2, 2012 5:38 PM, "Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons" wrote: > List, > > I was wondering if there was any reason not to make "let rec" the default > / sole option, meaning cases where you clearly don't want a "let rec" > instead of "let" (only in functions, not cyclic data). > > Diego Olivier >