* [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
@ 2012-07-06 13:07 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2012-07-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear OCaml users,

We are in the last stages of fixing bugs before 4.00.0 is released.
If your favorite bug report is still open and you want to know
whether we will fix it before 4.00.0, look at its "Target Version"
field.  If this is 4.00.0+dev, we are trying hard to fix your bug.
If it is not and you want to insist that we fix your bug before
the release, just drop me a note.  I'm not making any promise,
but we will carefully review your bug before taking a decision.

Thanks for your cooperation,

-- Damien

* Re: [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
@ 2012-07-06 13:15 ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-07-06 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml users

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 03:07:22PM +0200, Damien Doligez wrote:
> Dear OCaml users,
>
> We are in the last stages of fixing bugs before 4.00.0 is released.
> If your favorite bug report is still open and you want to know
> whether we will fix it before 4.00.0, look at its "Target Version"
> field.  If this is 4.00.0+dev, we are trying hard to fix your bug.
> If it is not and you want to insist that we fix your bug before
> the release, just drop me a note.  I'm not making any promise,
> but we will carefully review your bug before taking a decision.
>
> Thanks for your cooperation,

I don't know if there was officially a bug filed for the
"toploop library is now in compiler-libs" issue, or even if
it's a bug.  It's the main issue we found, although relatively
easy to fix in the packages themselves.

However, has this been resolved or changed, and if so how?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
@ 2012-07-07  7:03   ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2012-07-07  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I don't know if there was officially a bug filed for the
> "toploop library is now in compiler-libs" issue, or even if
> it's a bug.  It's the main issue we found, although relatively
> easy to fix in the packages themselves.
> However, has this been resolved or changed, and if so how?

It's PR#5628: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5628
and it will be addressed by providing a #remove_directory "/path"
toplevel directive and the corresponding function
Toploop.dir_remove_directory.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
@ 2012-07-07  9:06     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2012-07-07  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

To be fair, I'm not sure PR#5628 is the aspect of the change Richard
has in mind. I thought he was talking about the fact that he had to
manually edit the build system of programs using Toploop to add an
explicit `-I compiler-libs`. I don't think that's a "bug", but it
means some upgrade burden on library authors or packagers.

I think the reason for this change is that the move to compiler-libs/
was precisely to enforce a coherent location for libraries exported
from the compiler; keeping toploop in both stdlib/ and
stdlib/compiler-libs/ would confuse the setting, and this backward
compatibility hack would probably stay with us for too long. So indeed
I classify this change as "not a bug".

Gerd in PR#5268 complained that adding `#directory "+compiler_libs"`
just to #load "toploop.cma" would result in some form of namespace
solution. The #remove_directory directive will fix this problem, but
won't change (what I understand to be) Richard's issue, and also won't
fix the "namespace pollution" aspect for compiled, rather than
interactive programs. Program using `-I +compiler_libs` directly have
to add this path before any other path that contains module names that
would conflict with one of the module in +compiler_libs. Other options
that could improve this have been discussed in this bugtracker thread,
but they will probably have to wait for after the release.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 03:15 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
>> I don't know if there was officially a bug filed for the
>> "toploop library is now in compiler-libs" issue, or even if
>> it's a bug.  It's the main issue we found, although relatively
>> easy to fix in the packages themselves.
>> However, has this been resolved or changed, and if so how?
>
> It's PR#5628: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5628
> and it will be addressed by providing a #remove_directory "/path"
> toplevel directive and the corresponding function
> Toploop.dir_remove_directory.
>
> - Xavier Leroy
>

> --

* Re: [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
@ 2012-07-07 12:02       ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-07-07 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Xavier Leroy, caml-list

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:06:57AM +0200, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> I classify this change as "not a bug".

Right, I wasn't complaining, just wondering how this was going to be
resolved because it affects packaging in Fedora and whether/what
patches I send to upstream libraries.

> Gerd in PR#5268 complained that adding `#directory "+compiler_libs"`
> just to #load "toploop.cma" would result in some form of namespace
> [pollution?]
> The #remove_directory directive will fix this problem, but
> won't change (what I understand to be) Richard's issue, and also won't
> fix the "namespace pollution" aspect for compiled, rather than
> interactive programs.  Program using `-I +compiler_libs` directly have
> to add this path before any other path that contains module names that
> would conflict with one of the module in +compiler_libs.

This issue affects only ocaml-sexplib afaik.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
@ 2012-07-08 23:11         ` Alexy Khrabrov
From: Alexy Khrabrov @ 2012-07-08 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I wonder whether lacking true concurrency is a bug and whether this is
being fixed?  :)  Sorry just've been away for a bit but am keen on
seeing it "fixed" one day!

A+