Gerd, Thanks for all your work maintaining GODI over the years. Mike On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Gerd Stolpmann wrote: > Dear subscriber, > > Unfortunately, it is no longer possible for me to run the GODI > distribution. GODI will not upgrade to OCaml 4.01 once it is out, and it > will shut down the public service in the course of September 2013. The > website, camlcity.org, will remain up, but with reduced content. Existing > GODI installations can be continued to be used, but upgrades or bugfixes > will not be available when GODI is off. > > Although there are still a lot of GODI users, it is unavoidable to shut > GODI down due to lack of supporters, especially package developers. I was > more or less alone in the past months, and my time contingent will not > allow it to do the upgrade to OCaml 4.01 alone (when it is released). > > Also, there was a lot of noise about a competing packaging system for > OCaml in the past weeks: OPAM. Apparently, it got a lot of attention both > from individuals and from organizations. As I see it, the OCaml community > is too small to support two systems, and so in some sense GODI is > displaced by OPAM. > > The sad part is that OPAM is only clearly better in one point, namely in > interacting with the community (via Github). In times where social > networks are worth billions this is probably the striking point. It > doesn't matter that OPAM lacks core functions like deleting all files when > a package is removed, and that it lacks many other features GODI has. So > there is some loss of functionality for the community (partly difficult to > replace, like GODI's support for Windows). > > If somebody wants to take over GODI, please do so. The source code is > still available as well as the package directories. Maybe it is sufficient > to move the repository to a public place and to redesign the package > release process to give GODI a restart. > > There is also another point that was driving me mad in the past weeks, > namely missing respect from the OPAM guys. Given the fact that OPAM is > only a thin layer around ocamlfind (and guess who wrote it), and given the > fact that GODI was pioneering in many fields, I was expecting nicer > wordings, and less dumb campaigning ("we have 400 packages, and you only > 170"). OPAM is only harvesting what I seeded many years ago. > > Let's hope these guys get now some kicks into their asses, and are forced > to add all the functionality to OPAM the OCaml community deserves. > > Hoorn (NL), the 22nd July 2013, > > Gerd Stolpmann > -- > Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de > Creator of GODI and camlcity.org. > Contact details: http://www.camlcity.org/contact.html > Company homepage: http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de > > > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs