* [Caml-list] How can I use a library in a toplevel created by js_of_ocaml?
@ 2019-05-26  6:26 Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2019-05-26  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I want to create a web page where I can execute an OCaml expression
that mentions a prebuilt user-defined library.  I find the following
example in the js_of_ocaml/toplevel repository:

https://github.com/ocsigen/js_of_ocaml/tree/master/toplevel/examples/eval

Can I extend this example so that the toplevel is compiled with a
user-defined library?  The attached program contains the following
where the first three files are copied from the example in the
js_of_ocaml/toplevel repository.

toplevel/ -- dune
          -- eval.ml
          -- index.html
          -- fac/ -- dune
                  -- fac.ml

I intend that fac.ml is compiled as a library and I want to use it in
the toplevel.  I added "fac" in the libraries stanza of the toplevel
dune file (as in the attached file):

(executables
  (names eval)
  (libraries
    fac
    js_of_ocaml-compiler
    js_of_ocaml-toplevel)
  (link_flags (:standard -linkall))
  (preprocess (pps js_of_ocaml-ppx)))

Naturally, fac.ml is compiled and I can use it in the eval.ml, but it
is not visible from the toplevel.  I included the following part in
the index.html (as in the attached file):

<script type="text/ocaml" stdout="script3" stderr="script3">
  Fac.go 3;;
</script>

but the output says:

File "/dev/fake_stdin", line 2, characters 6-12:
Error: Unbound module Fac

Thank you in advance.

--
Kenichi Asai

[-- Attachment #2: toplevel.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-tar-gz, Size: 2149 bytes --]

* Re: [Caml-list] How can I use a library in a toplevel created by js_of_ocaml?
@ 2019-05-28  0:41 ` hugo
From: hugo @ 2019-05-28  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Asai; +Cc: caml-list

You need to tell js_of_ocaml the list of cmi that you want to export.
[jsoo_listunits] can compute the list of cmi from a findlib library.
Because fac is not installed, you'll need to be explicit.
There might be some better wait to integrate with dune but the following
should change should do what you want.

(rule
 (targets export.txt)
 (deps eval.bc *fac/fac.cma*)
 (action (run jsoo_listunits -o %{targets} stdlib
*fac/.fac.objs/byte/fac.cmi*)))

@ 2019-05-30 14:19   ` Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2019-05-30 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hugo; +Cc: caml-list

Thank you for the e-mail.  It goes great.  Going one step further, can
I do the same if I install fac as an opam library?  Suppose I packaged
fac.ml as a library called myFac and installed fac.cma and fac.cmi via
opam.  Using:

(action (run jsoo_listunits -o %{targets} stdlib myFac))

I could compile it but I got the "Unbound module Fac" error when I
open index.html.  Is listing myFac in the above line not enough?

As a related question, is there a document I can study that describes:
- what jsoo_listunits does, and
- what the --export option (and other options) of js_of_ocaml does?

--
Kenichi Asai

@ 2019-06-01  1:00     ` Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2019-06-01  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hugo; +Cc: caml-list

I could.  In addition to adding myFac to the argument of
jsoo_listunits:

> (action (run jsoo_listunits -o %{targets} stdlib myFac))

I inserted myFac as one of the libraries:

(executables
  (names eval)
  (libraries
    myFac
    js_of_ocaml-compiler
    js_of_ocaml-toplevel)
  (link_flags (:standard -linkall))
  (preprocess (pps js_of_ocaml-ppx)))

and added the path to the cmi file of myFac library to the argument
of js_of_ocaml.

-I /home/asai/.opam/ocaml-base-compiler.4.04.0/lib/myFac/

(I wonder if I always have to write this path.  Maybe it could be
automatically searched (as it is an opam library) or there is a
better way to write it rather than writing the absolute path.)

> As a related question, is there a document I can study that describes:
> - what jsoo_listunits does, and
> - what the --export option (and other options) of js_of_ocaml does?

I imagine that:

- executables have to contain libraries to be used in the toplevel.
- The --export option exports to the toplevel those modules that are
  required in the toplevel.
- export.txt specifies which modules to be exported.

Correct me if I am wrong.  I still welcome any documents to study.

Sincerely,

--
Kenichi Asai

@ 2019-06-06  1:05       ` hugo
From: hugo @ 2019-06-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Asai; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM Kenichi Asai <asai@is.ocha.ac.jp> wrote:

> I could.  In addition to adding myFac to the argument of
> jsoo_listunits:
>
> > (action (run jsoo_listunits -o %{targets} stdlib myFac))
>
> I inserted myFac as one of the libraries:
>
> (executables
>   (names eval)
>   (libraries
>     myFac
>     js_of_ocaml-compiler
>     js_of_ocaml-toplevel)
>   (link_flags (:standard -linkall))
>   (preprocess (pps js_of_ocaml-ppx)))
>
> and added the path to the cmi file of myFac library to the argument
> of js_of_ocaml.
>
> -I /home/asai/.opam/ocaml-base-compiler.4.04.0/lib/myFac/

> (I wonder if I always have to write this path.  Maybe it could be
> automatically searched (as it is an opam library) or there is a
> better way to write it rather than writing the absolute path.)

I would expect the path to not be necessary when passing a library name to
jsoo_listunits

> > As a related question, is there a document I can study that describes:
> > - what jsoo_listunits does, and
> > - what the --export option (and other options) of js_of_ocaml does?

> I imagine that:
>
> - executables have to contain libraries to be used in the toplevel.
> - The --export option exports to the toplevel those modules that are
>   required in the toplevel.
> - export.txt specifies which modules to be exported.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong.  I still welcome any documents to study.

The set of module one want to expose in a toplevel is different from the
set of module needed to build the toplevel.
`--export` is used to tell jsoo what module should be exported. Only module
linked in the toplevel can be exported.

jsoo_listunits is a small helper to build that list of module from library
names.
In short, what it does is: lookup {cma,cmo}s for the given libraries (using
findlib) and build the list of module for theses libraries.

I encourage you to open issues on github
<https://github.com/ocsigen/js_of_ocaml/issues/new> for theses questions.

@ 2019-05-30  0:45     ` hugo
From: hugo @ 2019-05-30  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quaker Quickoats; +Cc: Kenichi Asai, caml-list

We are missing some constraints in opam.

js_of_ocaml-toplevel.3.4.0 requires js_of_ocaml-compiler.3.4.0 but you have
version 3.3.0 installed.

> [NOTE] Package js_of_ocaml-compiler is already installed (current version
is 3.3.0).

try to upgrade your packages

@ 2019-05-29 20:27   ` Quaker Quickoats
From: Quaker Quickoats @ 2019-05-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)