From: Duane Johnson <duane.johnson@gmail.com>
To: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
Cc: Dean Thompson <deansherthompson@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] how to encourage adoption of OCaml?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 09:16:09 -0600	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Adoption is interesting but, as Tony Hoare put it, we are not fashion
> designers. The best thing I can think of is to communicate more and better,
> talk about the cool world that is being done in the OCaml communities, and
> importantly talking about it outside it. Supporting software projects that
> have a potential for impact outside the OCaml community is also key -- Coq,
> MLdonkey, Coccinelle, Flow, the SLAM static verifier toolkit, just to name
> a few.

As someone who just signed up to this mailing list, may I offer some
observations?

- my first impression of OCaml community was through reddit.com/r/ocaml. As
a reddit user, I would rank /r/ocaml as "barely alive but stable"--in other
words, the upvotes-per-thread there are in the single digits and low
double-digits showing people exist there, but it is not a thriving
community.
- next, I tried to find a google group. It was hard to find any substantial
and popular OCaml groups there. There was an OCaml aggregation list, but it
wasn't clear that it was a discussion group. My first thought was, Is there
no mailing list? I searched around and found the infria.fr domain. To an
outsider, this lends no credibility or brand-name familiarity. Not only is
the web domain unfamiliar, but the website does not look welcoming--it
appears to be out of the 90s.
- signing up for a mailing list is slow and unrewarding. I'd much rather
sign up for a more modern community technology like reddit, facebook,
slack, or google groups.
- I clicked "Info" to get more info about the mailing list on infria.fr and
it says "Private information" inside a white bubble. Ok...
- I looked for a chat community, and IRC is the only option. This signals
"old tech community" to me. Slack or gitter.im is a more inclusive, modern
community. In order to participate in IRC, one must always be connected.
This makes it more difficult for outsiders to come in and feel like they
can 'catch up' on the conversation (Yes, I know there are chat logs, but
this feature is not an integrated part of IRC).

In summary, all of the signals that I usually depend on to evaluate the
community around a technology are either weak or give me the impression of
"old and barely stable". New, exciting technologies that I've seen tend to
embrace and tap in to existing community platforms (slack, reddit, github,
gitbook, google groups) in order to leverage the platform and amplify their
advertising signal.

Duane Johnson