From: David Baelde <david.baelde@gmail.com>
To: Esther Baruk <esther.baruk@gmail.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Companies using OCaml
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:11:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

I have a few observations that may be relevant for your "company" or
"success" pages.

First, Nicolas Cannasse (main developper of HaXe) has recently left
Motion Twin for another French company, Shiro Games
(http://shirogames.com/). I'm not sure that Motion Twin still counts
as a user of OCaml, it seems possible that they are now only using the
HaXe compiler, whose development would have followed Cannasse at Shiro
Games.

Second, I think that liquidsoap (http://liquidsoap.fm) should be added
to the list of successes. As a main developer of the project, I am not
neutral, but I believe that our tool is clearly well established in
the (internet) radio industry. Liquidsoap is well known as a tool with
unique abilities, and has lots of users including big commercial ones.
It is not developed as a business, but companies develop services or
software on top of it. For example, Sourcefabric develops and sells
Airtime on top of liquidsoap -- but they may not be relevant for your
company page because they don't write OCaml code.

I think those two examples are interesting in that they are outside of
the traditional formal methods and scientific computing fields. If you
want to include paragraphs about them in one of your pages, I can
help.

In my opinion, these examples together with Gerd's remark show that
the company page should have some sort of disclaimer, pointing out
that the listing does not mention companies using products based on
OCaml, and does not mention companies which don't advertise their use
of OCaml. The success page does not have that problem.

Cheers,
--
David