How about "lexing" them into a list of operation tokens, then using the shunting-yard algorithm to parse them into an expression tree? that would allow arbitrary recursive expressions and still be relatively straightforward to process. martin On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Kenneth Adam Miller < kennethadammiller@gmail.com> wrote: > I understand other people have written those things before, and that it's > probably not so challenging to someone else, and I'm not saying I can't or > wouldn't write it, but I'm under deadline pressure, and I think it would > not be looked up on well if I had something with anywhere near so many > features or as much work to deliver since if they even exist. Since I have > to demonstrate this, the first question they are going to ask is "you spent > more than X minutes working on this when you could have been working on the > minimum viable product!! Unhappy!!" So I'm not disregarding the input I've > got, but I think that I can achieve a less robust working version with the > same set of features in a simpler fashion. > > So, instead I think can get something very near to a full grammar, while > still allowing the fundamental operations I want. Here's what I've got: > > > type setop = > | Intersection > | Difference > | Union > [@@deriving sexp] > > let list_setops = [ > "Intersection", Intersection; > "Difference", Difference; > "Union", Union; > ] > let setops_doc = List.(to_string ~f:fst (list_setops)) > let setops = > let doc = "." in > Cmdliner.Arg.( > value & opt_all (some (pair ~sep:'=' string & pair (enum > (list_setops)) & pair string string)) [] > & info ["setop"] ~docv:setops_doc ~doc > ) > > > Instead of having an recursive variant instance in the type setop place to > allow the grammar to be recursive, I will fold over the setops, and add > each one to a map. For example, I might have: > > --setop Red=Union (Feature1, Feature2) --setop Green=Intersection (Red, > Feature3) > > So that, as I fold, I will add colors to the feature set. Then, for > whatever nested operations otherwise would have been required, I can just > manually unfold them on the command line. > > I guess I've solved my problem, but I was hoping to get a recursive > parsing capability on the command line that would have supporting a type > declaration more like the following: > > type setop = > | Result of setop > | Intersection of string * string > | Difference of string * string > | Union of string * string > > The problem with this is, 1) the constructors are non-uniform so that > there isn't a clean way to specify to the Cmdliner.Arg.value function what > the converter should be 2) The list type of their resulting pairwise > sub-command specifications to the command line (the "enum list_setops" > part) becomes much harder to specify since those also need to be > constructible in the string - type pairs for the list_setops argument to > enum. > > I suppose my thinking about how to deal with this would be to write a > custom conv to convert the command line input, but to do so it would have > to be recursive, and the Cmdliner.Arg.enum would have to support both > non-uniform constructors and an argument conv to be able to do this > correctly. > > Does anybody have a better way to capture what I'm looking to do? > > On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM Андрей Бергман wrote: > >> Probably a parser combinator with a small language would be a better tool >> for that. Parser generators look too heavy, and comman-line parsers are too >> light (otherwise they become optparse-applicative, which is too specific to >> study it => everyone uses cookbook). >> > -- Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs