The difference between ppx_deriving_protobuf and ocaml-protoc is that the former generates a protobuf schema from an OCaml type while the later generates the OCaml type from a protobuf schema. They are both using the same runtime library for the binary encoding. Although I have written ocaml-protoc as a personal project, it has been used successfully in a professional context to interface with apache mesos. On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 8:10 PM Kenneth Adam Miller < kennethadammiller@gmail.com> wrote: > The space complexity is ridiculous (at least X^2, possibly 2^n), it isn't > as convenient as any of the others in allowing you to derive your own > specs, it's horribly written code that uses ref and doesn't conform to > OCaml conventions, it caused a lot of crashing on our end, only works for a > particular compile target until I went to update it, the Makefile is an > awful unmaintainable and unreadable mess, the language it defines is > unnecessary and it's hard to get anything to change. > > We (me and some team mates) had this forced on us for the features we > required, which was to be able to get data in and out of ocaml to other > languages, and wanted to use it for a large project. It ended up causing a > lot of unnecessary and unwanted slow down in development, both for our > cases and for CMU's BAP. They had the same problems, and everyone that has > touched it had to do unwanted work trying to get it to reliably do what it > advertises. > > On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Louis Roché wrote: > >> Can you give more details please ? > > >> >> > On 11 Feb 2018, at 04:56, Kenneth Adam Miller < >> kennethadammiller@gmail.com> wrote: >> > >> > **Dont use piqi!** It's really terrible code. >> >