From: Evgeny Roubinchtein <zhenya1007@gmail.com>
To: paul.lachat@edu.univ-fcomte.fr
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [Question] Loading .ml in memory to interact with them.
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 10:24:50 -0400	[thread overview]

Just to be clear: does this need to work on Windows, or only on Unix-like
systems?  If it only needs to work under Unix, then your problem sounds to
me like a standard inter-process communication problem with the usual
solutions being to use a combination of pipe(), dup2(), and select() system
calls, and with the alternative solution being to use a pseudo-terminal.
Chapter 5 of "Unix System Programming in OCaml"
https://ocaml.github.io/ocamlunix/pipes.html should give you some guidance
on implementing the former solution.  If you want to use pseudo-terminals,
I don't know of a freely-available tutorial-style reference off the top of
my head.  "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" by late Richard
Stevens has had a chapter dedicated to pseudo-terminals since the first
edition of the book: perhaps your local library has a copy.  Failing that,
you could read Linux man page for pty(7), and follow the links to forkpty
and friends.  For example, you could start here:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/pty.7.html.

The fact that you want to do all of this from Matlab is an extra challenge,
but I don't think it's an insurmountable challenge.  Even if Matlab doesn't
have the functions you need "out of the box", it is possible to extend
Matlab with C code, so you could implement a C function to initialize the
external process, and another function to send to the external process and
receive results.  The following is probably a good starting point for
learning how to extend Matlab with C/C++:
https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/call-mex-files-1.html.  I don't know
off the top of my head if Matlab already comes with sufficiently flexible
functionality for communicating with an external process: you could try
searching the documentation and/or engaging Mathworks technical support
(assuming your license comes with technical support) and/or asking on
Mathworks forums.

--
Best of luck
Zhenya