From: Kakadu <kakadu.hafanana@gmail.com>
To: "Kovács Roland" <zen3ger@gmail.com>
Cc: Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Beginner - Cannot set up Core and Batteries
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:53:24 +0300	[thread overview]

It seems that you have done `opam switch` and now some packages are
not installed. (I.e. opam doesn't look for packages installled in
/usr/lib anymore.) So, toplevel gives you an error about unknown
topfind.

It's likely  that `opam install core batteries utop` will fix that.

But it is a little bit strange that utop still prints the same. It is
likely that you have a little bit dirty environment. You can try to
reopen terminal and try again and see that result differs. Don't
forget to do `eval $(opam config env)` at the beginnning!

Kakadu

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Kovács Roland <zen3ger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thans for the tip!
>
> I've tried and utop still prints exactly the same, and it still imports
> camlp4, while ocaml prints another error now:
>
> $ ocaml
>         OCaml version 4.02.3
>
> Cannot find file topfind.
> Unknown directive `thread'.
>
> Roland

>> Can you try the same without line about `camlp4` in your ~/.ocamlinit
>> file? It is very likely that you will not need it at all because
>> modern versions of libraries doesn't require it anymore.
>>
>> Also, I can recommend you to compile ocaml locally using `opam switch
>> 4.02.3 && eval $(opam config env)` command.
>>
>> kakadu
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Kovács Roland <zen3ger@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Everyone!
>>>
>>> I'm completely new to OCaml, but I've read that it's a good practice to
>>> start by having both Batteries and the Core module installed.
>>> I'm using Ubuntu 16.04, and installed ocaml, opam, utop from the official
>>> PPAs as it seemed that the one provided for Ubuntu (avsm/ppa) is not
>>> working
>>> for 16.04!
>>>
>>> After installation I did opam init, and all the setups it asked me to do.
>>> In
>>> my .ocamlinit file I have what I've found as a fix for the error 'unbound