* [Caml-list] OCaml turns 25
@ 2021-05-09  7:33 Xavier Leroy
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2021-05-09  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear OCaml enthusiasts,

25 years ago, on May 9th 1996, release 1.00 of the Objective Caml language
and system was announced:
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/1996-05/msg00003.html

It was already the consolidation of many years of work, integrating Jérôme
Vouillon and Didier Rémy's work on objects and classes within Caml Special
Light, itself a combination of my work on modules and native-code
compilation with earlier code taken from Caml Light, especially Damien
Doligez's GC.

Little did I know that O(bjective) Caml would still be there 25 years later!

A lot happened during this time, including several major evolutions of the
language, and, much more importantly, the emergence of a community of users
and an ecosystem of tools and libraries.  But maybe this was just the
beginning for something even bigger?  We'll see...

Happy birthday, OCaml!

- Xavier Leroy