* [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml 0.4
@ 2014-04-05 20:32 Andy Ray
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andy Ray @ 2014-04-05 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

IOCaml provides an OCaml REPL in a webbrowser.  Version 0.4 frees us
from the tyranny of Python and provides an OCaml based webserver.  Put
another way you no longer need IPython installed at all.

The project is split into 3 opam packages;

* iocaml-kernel (https://github.com/andrewray/iocaml) - byte code OCaml kernel
* iocamljs-kernel (https://github.com/andrewray/iocamljs) - javascript
OCaml kernel(s)
* iocaml (https://github.com/andrewray/iocamlserver) - iocaml webserver

In general from a 4.01.0 compiler

$ opam install iocaml

should get everything installed.  OS requirements are libssl-dev and
libzmq3-dev (possibly some others as well, let me know and I'll add
them to the project pages).  Chrome, Firefox and Safari have been
tested.

To run iocaml;

$ iocaml

or

$ iocaml path/to/dir

To bring up the dashboard interface.  Or

$ iocaml notebook.ipynb

To directly load a notebook.

Use the "-js <kernel>" option to load a javascript based ocaml kernel.

$ iocaml -js min [...]

will load a minimal javascript ocaml REPL while

$ iocaml -js full [...]

will load a REPL with the js_of_ocaml and lwt libraries including
syntax extensions included.

For those brave souls you can try

$ iocaml -js min -serve-jslibs [...]

and have a play with #use "topfind" / #require.  Its probably worth
mentioning that the various "-serve" options allow the browser access
to your file system so don't run it on a public network without due
care.

Cheers,
Andy

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml 0.4
@ 2014-04-06  2:35 ` Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2014-04-06  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, this is astounding progress. It's a real testament both to your hard
work and to the amazing infrastructure that people are developing using
OCaml. Congrats.

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Andy Ray <andy.ray@ujamjar.com> wrote:

> IOCaml provides an OCaml REPL in a webbrowser.  Version 0.4 frees us
> from the tyranny of Python and provides an OCaml based webserver.  Put
> another way you no longer need IPython installed at all.
>
> The project is split into 3 opam packages;
>
> * iocaml-kernel (https://github.com/andrewray/iocaml) - byte code OCaml
> kernel
> * iocamljs-kernel (https://github.com/andrewray/iocamljs) - javascript
> OCaml kernel(s)
> * iocaml (https://github.com/andrewray/iocamlserver) - iocaml webserver
>
> In general from a 4.01.0 compiler
>
> $ opam install iocaml
>
> should get everything installed.  OS requirements are libssl-dev and
> libzmq3-dev (possibly some others as well, let me know and I'll add
> them to the project pages).  Chrome, Firefox and Safari have been
> tested.
>
> To run iocaml;
>
> $ iocaml
>
> or
>
> $ iocaml path/to/dir
>
> To bring up the dashboard interface.  Or
>
> $ iocaml notebook.ipynb
>
> To directly load a notebook.
>
> Use the "-js <kernel>" option to load a javascript based ocaml kernel.
>
> $ iocaml -js min [...]
>
> will load a minimal javascript ocaml REPL while
>
> $ iocaml -js full [...]
>
> will load a REPL with the js_of_ocaml and lwt libraries including
> syntax extensions included.
>
> For those brave souls you can try
>
> $ iocaml -js min -serve-jslibs [...]
>
> and have a play with #use "topfind" / #require.  Its probably worth
> mentioning that the various "-serve" options allow the browser access
> to your file system so don't run it on a public network without due
> care.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> --

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml 0.4
@ 2014-04-06  8:53 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2014-04-06  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Apr 2014, at 21:32, Andy Ray <andy.ray@ujamjar.com> wrote:

> $ opam install iocaml
>
> should get everything installed.  OS requirements are libssl-dev and
> libzmq3-dev (possibly some others as well, let me know and I'll add
> them to the project pages).  Chrome, Firefox and Safari have been
> tested.

A little tip for MacOS X users trying to get the Homebrew dependencies
is that zmq3 is available via the 'versions' tap.  You need to:

$ brew tap homebrew/versions
$ brew install zeromq32
$ brew link zeromq32

This will get you a version of ZeroMQ that satisfies the OPAM
library needs for the rest of IOCaml.

-anil

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml 0.4
@ 2014-04-06 10:59 ` Andy Ray
From: Andy Ray @ 2014-04-06 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can now try iocamljs online.

http://andrewray.github.io/iocamljs/min.html
http://andrewray.github.io/iocamljs/full.html

There's no way to save your work at the moment unfortunately.

-Andy