I have a codebase that currently depends on an old version of OMake, and I would rather use ocamlbuild instead. As an end user, I see two key advantages: ocamlbuild is part of INRIA's official OCaml distribution, which implies a certain level of commitment to continued support, and ocamlbuild knows all about how to build OCaml projects (even using ocamlfind), so for simple applications it "just works". However, I was reluctant to look into ocamlbuild when it first appeared, since the only documentation was a set of presentation slides. It seemed powerful, but like you, I am not really interested in build systems. I'm more encouraged now that a section has appeared in the OCaml manual. Aside from that, are there any other resources I should look into? I'm wondering if there are some documents, or even mailing list threads, that would help me learn how to customize the building of a complex codebase like you just did in the "which ocaml build system" thread? I'm hoping there is a way to acquire this knowledge that doesn't involve trial and error with the build system. :) On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote: > I am not very interested in build systems. I use one (ocamlbuild) that > I find decent (has several known areas of improvement, but bear with > me), and instead of rewriting a new one from scratch¹ I decided that > maybe the existing one I could be improved to fix its shortcomings. > You know, by writing bug reports, and more importantly proposing > patches (to the code or the documentation), instead of just > complaining on the mailing-list. I'm not aware, so far, of a major > design problem that can't be incrementally fixed, and whose resolution > is worth the pain of switching to a completely new system. > > ¹: or juggling with three different unannounced build systems; I think > you forgot Jenga and the various adaptations of redo for OCaml; nobody > added OCaml rules to Shake as far as I know, but certainly that will > happen in the future. > > On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 3:14 AM, Francois Berenger > wrote: > > On 07/26/2013 05:03 AM, Adrien Nader wrote: > >> > >> Hi, > >> > >> I believe this entry on the bugtracker is worth mentionning: > >> "ocamlbuild should expose common interface as a library" > >> http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5869 > >> > >> More generally, ocamlbuild's development was mostly stalled but has > >> restarted recently. This should allow fixing many issues and > >> shortcomings. > > > > > > There is not only ocamlbuild! > > > > I would love to see projects such as obuild: > > > > https://github.com/vincenthz/obuild > > > > come out of the woods (like an official release announce if it is > > ready for mass consumption) and become the de facto gold standard. > > > > PS: even OCamlPro have written a tool to replace ocamlbuild > > (ocp-build)... > > > > > > -- > > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >