From: Fabrice Le Fessant <Fabrice.Le_fessant@inria.fr>
To: Paolo Donadeo <p.donadeo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml Labs
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 07:42:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

I should stress that there has been no official announce of OPAM,
because it is still considered as unstable, but it should be
officially released soon... One of the major differences with other
package managers for OCaml for me is its ability to maintain different
trees, for different versions of the compiler, allowing to test easily
a new version or a patch.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 1:38 AM, Paolo Donadeo <p.donadeo@gmail.com> wrote:
> A question: can OPAM live in peace with odb.ml or GODI? In this moment
> my environment is built with GODI (for compiler and major libraries)
> and what is not present in GODI is installed with odb.ml, which
> installs everything in ~/.odb, no conflict with /opt/godi/...

OPAM installs its packages in ~/.opam/, so there will be no conflict
in the installation.

> Can I
> say to OPAM to ignore a dependency, for example can I install an OPAM
> package which depends on Batteries, while Batteries installed with
> GODI?

The purpose of OPAM is to manage the versions of installed packages,
so that if some package needs a new version of another package, it
would be able to upgrade that package. If some packages are managed
outside of OPAM, it will not be able to upgrade them, and upgrading
them with another package manager will break the consistency between
the packages. So, you probably don't want to do that.

Packaging a library for OPAM is quite simple (you just need to explain
how to build it, i.e. usually ./configure; make; make install), and
the repository is available on Github, so uploading a package is just
sending a pull-request there...

--Fabrice